- How to Create a Debug Log
- I Cannot Move a File to an Encrypted Folder
- This Application Requires a Java Runtime Environment
- USB Flash Drive Support
- Where can I download Boxcryptor Classic?
- What happens if Boxcryptor goes out of business?
- Outdated Clients
- Cannot open some files
- Known Limitations
- What is a FolderKey.bch and a .bclink file
- Recover Account Access if Second Factor (2FA) is Lost
Are you ready to secure your cloud storage? This guide helps you to get started with Boxcryptor and your cloud storage service.
System Requirements: Requires Windows 7 or later, macOS 10.10 or later, or a 64-bit Linux.
To install Boxcryptor Portable, follow these steps: 1. Download Boxcryptor Portable for your platform. 2. Extract the downloaded compressed file.
To start Boxcryptor Portable, do the following:
- Windows: Execute the Boxcryptor Portable.exe file.
- macOS: Execute the Boxcryptor Portable.app file.
- Linux: Open the terminal, go to the extracted folder and run
Create a Boxcryptor Account
We strive to make managing encrypted files as simple as possible. Just set up your Boxcryptor account and we handle all the difficult operations that come with encryption for you.
- Start Boxcryptor.
- Click on create account.
- Follow the wizard to finish the account creation.
Create a password that you can remember, or store the password in a secure place, for example a password manager. Boxcryptor is a zero knowledge encryption software, therefore we cannot restore your password.
If you lose your password, your data will be lost irrevocably.
Once you have installed Boxcryptor and signed in with your account, you can add your cloud provider and start browsing your files.
From now on, you can use Boxcryptor to work with your files in the cloud. The app connects with your cloud provider and takes care of uploading and downloading files, as well as decryption.
Small icons mark the files, and show you whether a file or folder is encrypted or not.
Your First Encrypted Folder
All files and folders that you add to an encrypted folder in Boxcryptor will be encrypted automatically. If you are new to Boxcryptor and do not have any files in your cloud yet, this is how you get started.
- Open the Boxcryptor Portable app.
- Open your cloud provider in the Boxcryptor Portable app.
- Right-click into the folder → New Folder.
- Enter a name for the new folder and click on Create encrypted folder.
- Add files to the folder. All files will be encrypted automatically.
How to Encrypt Existing Files
If you already have files and folders in your cloud, Boxcryptor can encrypt these existing files as well.
- Start the Boxcryptor Portable application.
- Go to your cloud storage provider location.
- Right-click a file or folder → Encrypt.
- Wait for Boxcryptor to finish the encryption process.
If you encrypt an existing folder, Boxcryptor will create a new folder with the _encrypted suffix to prevent sync conflicts.
Note: Boxcryptor Portable needs to download and reupload every file when you choose to encrypt existing files.