- Off-Migration Guide: Decrypt all Boxcryptor encrypted files
- What happens if Boxcryptor goes out of business?
- I Cannot Connect to the Boxcryptor Servers
- Use self-signed Certificates for Cloud Provider
- I Cannot Move a File to an Encrypted Folder
- Camera Upload is Not Working
- Where can I download Boxcryptor Classic?
- Outdated Clients
- Cannot open some files
- What is a FolderKey.bch and a .bclink file
- Recover Account Access if Second Factor (2FA) is Lost
Are you ready to secure your cloud storage? This guide helps you to get started with Boxcryptor and your cloud storage service.
System Requirements: Requires Android 6.0 or later. Boxcryptor for Android is compatible with smartphones and tablet devices.
To install Boxcryptor, download the Boxcryptor app from the Google Play Store.
On Android, you do not have to install your cloud provider’s app, because we are able to directly connect with your cloud provider. If you have your provider’s app installed, you can safely remove it after you set up Boxcryptor.
Create a Boxcryptor Account
With Boxcryptor joining Dropbox, we do no longer allow new accounts to be created.
We strive to make managing encrypted files as simple as possible. Just set up your Boxcryptor account and we handle all the difficult operations that come with encryption for you.
- Start Boxcryptor.
- Click on create account.
- Follow the wizard to finish the account creation.
Create a password that you can remember, or store the password in a secure place, for example a password manager. Boxcryptor is a zero knowledge encryption software, therefore we cannot restore your password.
If you lose your password, your data will be lost irrevocably.
Once you have installed Boxcryptor and signed in with your account, you can add your cloud provider and start browsing your files.
From now on, you can use Boxcryptor to work with your files in the cloud. The app connects with your cloud provider and takes care of uploading and downloading files, as well as decryption.
Small icons mark the files and show you whether a file or folder is encrypted or not.
You will be able to use Boxcryptor directly from within other apps, such as Word. For instance, if you want to edit a Word file, open Word → select Open other documents on the Open tab, → Browser → → select Boxcryptor.
Your First Encrypted Folder
All files and folders that you add to an encrypted folder in Boxcryptor will be encrypted automatically. If you are new to Boxcryptor and do not have any files in your cloud yet, this is how you get started.
- Open the Boxcryptor app.
- Open your cloud provider in the Boxcryptor app.
- Tap on → new folder.
- Enter a name for the new folder. The encryption option is pre-selected for you.
- Upload files or photos to the folder. All files will be encrypted automatically.
How to Encrypt Existing Files
Encrypting existing files is currently not possible with Boxcryptor for Android. Please use Boxcryptor for Windows, Boxcryptor for macOS or Boxcryptor Portable to migrate your existing files.